Bring Your Four-Legged Friends for a Walk in the Garden!
Grab your leash and your fur babies (fur babies=dogs) and head to the Garden! During our Special Dog-Walking Hours, you’re invited to bring your four-legged friends to the Garden for a stroll through out 87 acres. While there are a few areas off limits to the dogs (including the Bohannon Rose Garden and the Koi Pond), the dogs are able to enjoy the majority of our beautiful oasis while remaining on leash.
The health and safety of Garden guests and employees are paramount. This page includes policies and procedures regarding canines during Special Dog Walking Hours. Please know, all dogs must be on leashes while on Garden property, including the parking lot.
Canine & Owner Policies, Code of Conduct
To make this a fun and safe experience for all Garden guests, please adhere to the following agreements while visiting South Coast Botanic Garden with your dog:
- Dogs must be attended and on a leash at all times while onsite (onsite includes parking lot). Guests with dogs unattended or off-leash will be asked to leave the Garden immediately.
- Keep 6’ apart from other humans AND dogs! This is for everyone’s safety.
- All dogs must be socialized and have updated vaccinations and registrations.
- For the safety of both your dog and the natural environment, stay on established paved and dirt paths, routes and trails. This protects all life forms (plants and animals)!
- By participating in Special Dog Walking Hours, owners take full responsibility for their dog’s/dogs’ behavior.
- Please leave the Garden as you found it! Clean up after your dog. Bags are available throughout the Garden.
- As a County of Los Angeles facility, South Coast Botanic Garden follows Municipal Code as it applies to dog parks: https://www.laparks.org/dogparks
- Rose Garden – we are protective of the plants and people in this area!
- Koi Pond- may contain a plant found harmful to dogs!
Remember, dogs will only be admitted to South Coast Botanic Garden on designated days and times, with advanced reservations. Dogs are not permitted in the Garden at any other times outside of designated dog walking hours.
L.A.M.C. Dog Ordinances
|Please Respect all the Codes and Signs Posted at the Dog Parks|
|1. Dog defecation is to be immediately removed by owner (LAMC 53.49).||12. Alcohol is prohibited. (LAMC 41.27).|
|2. Aggressive dogs are not allowed in the park. Dogs exhibiting unusually aggressive behavior are to be removed from the park at once (LAMC 53.34).||13. Glass bottles and/or containers are not permitted in the park.|
|3. In the event of dog bite or injury owner/guardian must exchange current tag information and phone number (LAMC 53.29, 53.38).||14. Grooming of dogs is prohibited in the park.|
|4. Dogs must not be unattended. (LAMC 53.10 and 53.12) any dogs left unattended will be taken to the shelter.||15. Abandoning of animals is prohibited (497(s) P.C.).|
|5. No smoking (LAMC 57.23.02).||16. No bicycles, skateboards or rollerblades are permitted in the park.|
|6. For the health and safety of your puppy, no dogs under the age of four months are allowed to use the facility.||17. Small children must be closely supervised by an adult at all times. Please discourage your child from running to minimize the chance of your child being chased.|
|7. All dogs over the age of four months shall be fully vaccinated and licensed (LAMC 53.21, 53.51 and LAMC 53.28). All dogs must wear collars and tags.||18. Please do not leave valuables in your vehicle; leave them at home or secure them out of view in your vehicle prior to leaving home.|
|8. Dogs with communicable diseases are not allowed on park premises at any time. (LAMC 53.30).||19. Permits are required for all commercial activities. Please call (818) 785-5798 for permit information.|
|9. Female dogs in any stage of heat are not permitted in the park (LAMC 53.29).||20. Security Service Los Angeles Police Department can be contacted at (213) 978-4670.|
|10. Dogs must be leashed at all times in the parking area (LAMC 53.06.2).||21. All Dogs must be spayed or neutered (LAMC 53.15.2)..|
|11. Dogs only! Animals other than dogs are not permitted inside the park. This includes but is not limited to: Wolf hybrid (LAMC 53.39), cats, pot bellied pigs, rabbits, ferrets, rats, birds and reptiles.|