Credit: Pam Major
Come Grow With Us!
Visitor Experience Associate
Reports to the Visitor Services Manager
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Visitor Experience Associate serves as the first point of contact for all Garden visitors, and therefore plays a critical role in the success of South Coast Botanic Garden (SCBG). The Visitor Experience Associate has responsibility for providing positive engagement whenever possible — whether processing financial transactions in our ticket window, answering telephone and email inquiries or providing inspirational moments in the role of a tour guide, workshop facilitator, greeter or outreach presenter.
The Visitor Experience Associate will present the tools, enthusiasm and information necessary for a positive and memorable guest experience. The Visitor Experience Associate will interact with a broad range of people daily, including garden visitors, special event guests, professional vendors, SCBG donors, venue rental clients and more. In addition to making all guests feel welcome and valued; this position is accountable for processing admissions, event tickets, class registration, memberships and donations.
The Visitor Experience Associate is expected to maintain a high level of courtesy and professionalism with both visitors and fellow team members. The ideal candidate is a team player who is service-oriented, has a strong attention to detail, has exceptional interpersonal skills and takes pride in providing a memorable visit for every guest. The position offers an opportunity to work alongside a group of professional, hard-working, dedicated people who are all empowered to do whatever it takes to deliver an extraordinary visitor experience.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Create a welcoming and warm experience for all SCBG visitors
- Inspire guests to have an excellent visit
- Upsell membership to visitors
- Encourage membership renewals and upgrades to current members
- Open and close the Visitor Services Center, close and secure office at end of day
- Make announcements on the Garden intercom
- Provide effective customer service in-person and over the phone
- Answer inbound telephone calls and provide customer service
- Generate interest in SCBG’s offerings by effectively explaining them to visitors
- Suggest events, programs and membership offerings to visitors, based on their interests
- Demonstrate a well-rounded understanding of SCBG’s mission
- Partner with facilities staff and events staff to deliver an exceptional visitor experience
- Lead guided tours when assigned
- Assist with creative, hands on activities and workshops to engage guests
- Assist with class sign ups and registration
- Assist customers with ticket exchanges and/or returns
- Use creative problem solving when responding to guest concerns. Resolve customer services issues and/or elevate them to Management when appropriate
- For membership program, ensure visitor data is entered into database in a consistent and timely fashion
- Reconcile cash/checks and charges with ticket sales daily
- Meet personal/team sales targets for membership and donations
- Handle confidential media/information with discretion
- Perform administrative tasks
- Treat all SCBG employees and visitors with respect and maintain a positive work environment
- Be a positive advocate for the SCBG’s community and employee culture
- Other duties as assigned
- Cash register and POS system, credit card processing machine, phone, calculator, copier, computer, fax machine, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio.
- Ability to work outdoors, in all weather conditions, as needed
- Extended periods of time standing and walking
- Ability to be “on-stage” during work hours, by presenting a positive and pleasant atmosphere for guests
- This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds
- BA/BS or equivalent preferred
- Two years retail experience or working in a public garden, museum or relevant attraction
- Cash handling/cash register experience
- Customer service experience
- An approachable, friendly, enthusiastic personality
- Reliable attendance
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work with diverse cultures, backgrounds and personalities
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays and weekends
- Must be able to handle simple calculations and money transactions
- Must be self-motivated, have a good sense of humor, focus and a strong work ethic
- Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office technology
- Basic knowledge of Word and Excel necessary
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred, but not required
- Neat and professional appearance
This is a non-exempt, part-time or full-time (depending on the candidate selected) position and may be scheduled on weekends, evenings and holidays depending on the needs of the organization.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.