Credit: Pam Major
Come Grow With Us!
The South Coast Botanic Garden Foundation (SCBGF), a non-profit organization that exists to support South Coast Botanic Garden (SCBG), seeks an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual for the coordination of venue rentals and special events.
SPECIAL EVENTS AND SALES COORDINATOR
Part Time 24 – 29 hours per week
Reports to the Special Events and Filming Director, Special Events and Filming Manager
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Foundation seeks a talented and driven individual to join us in our mission of providing the resources necessary to realize the mission of SCBG, which is to serve the community by providing a unique horticultural and wildlife habitat experience and to represent a model of excellence for land reclamation and sustainability. This position is an excellent way to learn all the workings of a nonprofit organization and make connections with the Garden community.
The Special Events and Sales Coordinator will be an experienced, take charge individual with the ability to coordinate logistics in a busy, year-round special events environment. Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are required. The candidate must be comfortable in dealing with the public, have the initiative to find answers to guests’ questions, and have a high aptitude for customer service.
The Special Events Coordinator will help coordinate venue rentals and Foundation special events. This position may be the initial point of contact in the office for those wishing to learn more about renting space in the Garden and various special events. The chosen individual will help coordinate Foundation Events from conception to execution. The candidate should have a passion for event planning, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional, and be able to build relationships with internal team members and external customers.
Position is Part-time (24 – 29 hours), non-exempt. Must be available weekdays, some weekday evenings, and most weekends. Pay rate DOE.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality preferred; relative work experience can substitute for the degree.
- At least 2-4 years of experience coordinating special events, catering sales, or venue sales.
- At least 2-4 years of experience with office administration.
- Respect for a diversity of cultures.
- Proficient use of the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches.
- Familiarity with Photoshop and Illustrator.
- High level of comfort with technology and the ability to learn new software.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, and adaptable.
- Ability to meet deadlines; coordinate multiple events, projects, and tasks simultaneously; prioritize duties; and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proofreading skills, and speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
- Strong customer service ethic and high expectations for quality service delivery.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and remain flexible, professional, client-focused, positive, and energetic.
- Ability to recognize problems and to take appropriate actions toward solutions or recognize when to escalate to manager.
- Ability to create and maintain positive community relationships.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Including, but not limited to –
Coordinate Venue Rentals
- Field inquiries for venue rentals – provide general information, available dates, and pricing.
- Coordinate appointments and schedule tours of the Garden venues available for special events.
- Maintain the special events calendar.
- Manage Special Events Instagram.
- Prepare and maintain contracts and collect payments.
- Maintain event files and client lists.
- Submit requests for contract updates.
- Creation and execution of work orders.
- Communicate with clients regarding paperwork deadlines and payments.
- Create signage for Guest Services Center and within Garden as needed.
- Provide site coordinator/monitor services day of events.
- Coordinate with vendors.
- Process invoices and Damage Deposit refunds.
- Close out events as required.
- Coordinate with other departments as needed.
Coordinate Foundation Events
- Conduct research and find resources to help Director and Manager make decisions about event possibilities.
- Create and revise layouts for each event.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters.
- Handle contracts and payments from/for vendors.
- Order/purchase supplies/food as needed.
- Prepare collateral materials as needed.
- Oversee placement of banners and update marquee with event information.
- Monitor events and assist as needed.
- Close out all events as required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
MINIMUM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Maintain high standards of productivity, cooperation, attendance and efficiency.
- Responsible for promoting the mission of the organization.
- Follow branding and communications standards established for the organization.
- Professional dress and manner required to maintain a positive public image for the organization.
- Able to work most weekends and some weekday evenings.
- Valid California Driver License required.
- Reliable transportation necessary.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND FREQUENCY:
- Requires the use of office equipment, such as computer terminals, telephones, copiers, fax machines, etc.
- Requires vision/hearing to normal range with or without correction.
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Requires prolonged standing and/or sitting.
- Ability to operate Garden vehicles.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.