Credit: Sarah Chah
Come Grow With Us!
FTE (2 positions), PTE (2 positions)
Reports to the Director, Visitor Services
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Foundation seeks a talented and driven individual to join us in our mission of providing the resources necessary to realize the mission of SCBG, which is to serve the community by providing a unique horticultural and wildlife habitat experience and to represent a model of excellence for land reclamation and sustainability.
The Ranger is responsible for providing a safe experience for the guest and providing a level of onsite security for the parking area and other public spaces within the 87 acres of the property. The Ranger will greet, help orient, and assist the visitors in a customer-service focused manner. The Ranger serves as a liaison with the designated County staff and the Sheriff department during any emergency involving injuries, parking lot break-ins, or property/asset damage, and ensures that the proper documentation is done and appropriate staff are notified. The Rangers will evaluate conditions of the parking area, grounds and public areas and report any conditions or actions to the County that might result in liability or damage. The position has the authority to stop and prevent unsafe acts to ensure the general welfare and safety of staff, volunteers, and guests. The Ranger will generate weekly reports to the Director of Visitor Services and COO that document damage, neglect, or safety issues at South Coast Botanic Garden. The Ranger will perform first responder duties in connection with minor injuries, grounds infractions and guest emergencies and escalate appropriately. The Ranger will also serve as a secondary monitor for events, programs and classes to make sure that South Coast Botanic Garden’s assets are protected and security is maintained before, during, and after an event. Rangers should be comfortable in dealing with the public, gain knowledge of the grounds, flora and fauna, and have the initiative to find answers to guests’ questions. Duties include patrolling the grounds and responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the vehicles assigned.
- Two+ years’ experience in a destination/hospitality environment, facilities/operations field, or park ranger position.
- Must have a valid California Class C Driver License. Valid California Commercial Driver License – Class B with a Passenger Endorsement preferred.
- Ability to pass basic safety testing, and become CPR/First Aid certified.
- Self-motivated, organized and adaptable.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people and meets the needs of an internal and external customer.
- Ability to make quick judgment calls and react to emergency situations in a calm manner.
- Strong customer service ethic and high expectations for quality service delivery.
- Displays a pleasant, respectful and customer-forward demeanor.
- Ability to accomplish projects and work daily with little supervision.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to assess situations quickly, make decisions and exercise good judgment in everyday or emergency situations.
- This is a physically oriented and demanding position.
- The position requires the ability to walk and move equipment to various locations within the Gardens, which may not be accessible via motor vehicle.
- Must be able to drive on-grounds vehicles.
- Must be able to work some weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Working outdoors in inclement weather including cold, rain, heat and nighttime.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.