Credit: Pam Major
Come Grow With Us!
The South Coast Botanic Garden Foundation (SCBGF), a non-profit organization that exists to support South Coast Botanic Garden (SCBG), seeks an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual Event Services Associate.
EVENT SERVICES ASSOCIATE
Part Time 15–25 hours per week
Reports to the Special Events and Filming Director
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Foundation seeks a talented and driven individual to join us in our mission of providing the resources necessary to realize the mission of SCBG, which is to serve the community by providing a unique horticultural and wildlife habitat experience and to represent a model of excellence for land reclamation and sustainability. This position is an excellent way to learn all the workings of a nonprofit organization and make connections with the Garden community.
The Event Services Associate (ESA) is responsible for the proper set-up and strike of all events and activities that take place at the Garden. In addition, the ESA ensures client’s facilities needs are met, South Coast Botanic Garden’s assets are protected, the facility is clean and that security is maintained before, during and after an event. The ESA should be an experienced, take charge individual with the ability to handle logistics in a busy, year-round special events environment. Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are required. The selected individual will be comfortable dealing with the public, have the initiative to find answers to guests’ questions and have a high aptitude for customer service.
The ESA will support venue rentals and Foundation special events and may be the initial point of contact in the office for those wishing to learn more about renting space in the Garden and various special events. The candidate should have a passion for events, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional, and be able to build relationships with internal team members and external customers.
Position is part-time (15 to 25 hours), non-exempt. Must be available weekdays, some weekday evenings, and most weekends. Pay rate DOE.
- At least 1 year of experience coordinating special events or venue sales.
- At least 2 years of experience with office administration.
- Respect for a diversity of cultures.
- Proficient use of the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches.
- High level of comfort with technology and the ability to learn new software.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Basic understanding of legal contract language.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Including, but not limited to –
Special Events and Foundation Events
- Provide site coordinator/monitor services day of events.
- Set up event equipment according to work orders (i.e, tables, chairs, heaters, pop up tents, umbrellas, etc.).
- Facility Duties (i.e., restock restrooms, trash disposal, etc.)
- Maintenance Duties (i.e., repair, clean, assemble event equipment)
- Create signage for Visitor Services Center and within Garden as needed.
- Reinforce Garden procedures and venue rules.
- Drive Gator and Golf cart as needed.
- Coordinate and escort vendors from load in to load out.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters.
- Close out all events as required.
- Support Special Events department as needed (i.e., site tours, inquiries).
- Coordinate with other departments as needed.
MINIMUM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Maintain high standards of productivity, cooperation, attendance and efficiency.
- Responsible for promoting the mission of the organization.
- Follow branding and communications standards established for the organization.
- Professional dress and manner required to maintain a positive public image for the organization.
- Able to work most weekends and some weekday evenings.
- Valid California Driver License required.
- Reliable transportation necessary.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND FREQUENCY:
- This position is a physically oriented position.
- The position requires ability to walk & move equipment to various locations within the Gardens.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Requires prolonged standing and/or sitting.
- Requires vision/hearing to normal range with or without correction.
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Ability to operate Garden vehicles.
- Requires the use of office equipment, such as computer terminals, telephones, copiers, fax machines, etc.
- Self-motivated, organized, especially detail-oriented, and adaptable.
- Must have a valid California Class C Driver License.
- Ability to meet deadlines; coordinate multiple events, projects, and tasks simultaneously; prioritize duties; and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of a wide range of A/V and electronic equipment, including speakers, microphones, sound systems, lighting, projectors, monitors and computer-based presentations.
- Ability to carry out a work order and complete setups accurately according to diagrams and descriptions.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proofreading skills, and speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
- Strong customer service ethic and high expectations for quality service delivery.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and remain flexible, professional, client-focused, positive, and energetic.
- Ability to recognize problems and to take appropriate actions toward solutions or escalate to a manager.
- Creates and maintains positive community relationships.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.