Credit: Pam Major
Come Grow With Us!
South Coast Botanic Garden, an 87-acre urban oasis in Palos Verdes, is seeking an experienced and talented Director of Membership.
The Garden is at a tipping point toward significant success, with the recent unveiling of a stunning new $4 million Rose Garden, a show-stopping 400 square foot Living Wall, and the arrival of Hide and Seek, a long-term exhibition of eight remarkable large-scale works of fine art sculpture. There is even more excitement to come, with a long-range Vision Plan that will reimagine the entire guest experience, including the creation of a 3.5 acre Children’s Garden and a 17-acre Water Garden to be unveiled in the coming years. There’s never been a better time to join this dynamic team.
The Membership program has recently been reinvented, with new opportunities for member engagement and benefits for everyone to enjoy. The Garden is already reaping the rewards of this reorganization with a 50% increase in membership households over the last year and a 100% increase in membership revenue.
The new Director of Membership will be a “builder,” an individual that is excited to take the helm of this new program and take it to even greater heights. The Director will set strategy and meet aggressive revenue goals and integrate member-centric values into everything we do. This individual will play an important public-facing role and will bring exceptional customer service practices, philanthropic values and innovative member engagement opportunities.
Reports to the Chief Development Officer
Administrative, Fulfillment, Event Production and Sales support are provided by colleagues in Visitor Services, Special Events and Development Services to ensure the Director can focus as much attention on marketing and sales as possible.
Serves as a Director of the organization, with a collaborative lateral team of professionals charged with forging a successful future of the Garden through cross-department teamwork and regular professional development workshops.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Director of Membership will have a passion for public gardens and/or cultural attractions, possess strategic oversight skills and be an experienced, and entrepreneurial self-starter with the ability to set and meet revenue goals.
The Director will oversee an active mailing and events schedule, leveraging member benefits in order to maximize acquisition, retention and member upgrades. Additionally, the Membership Director will oversee the Annual Fund program, an initiative to encourage donations among the ranks of members, past donors and Garden visitors.
The Director will meet critical monthly deadlines for renewal communications and will devise systems for tracking revenue channels and assessing their success and making strategic adjustments when necessary.
On-site sales initiatives will integrate with the Visitor Services operation and encourage guests to join when they visit the Garden, with signage, sales incentives, on-site staff training, discounting strategies and personalized sales techniques, all at the strategy of the Membership Director.
The Director will look to the existing ranks of members to encourage upgrades and renewals with the creation of new “ask-ladders”, personalized renewal letters, emails and calls, event-specific upgrade campaigns and more. The Director will reach out to lapsed members to secure re-joins. The Director will employ individual fundraising techniques to recruit members of the new Garden Circle.
The Director will participate in all Membership events in an effort to form relationships with members and member prospects, and to maximize membership sales and upgrades. While the Director of Special Events is responsible for producing Member events, the Membership Director will lead the event strategy and assist with event execution when needed.
Member fulfillment and customer service strategies are set and managed by the Membership Director.
The Director of Membership will ensure excellence in member and visitor customer service and satisfaction. The Director of Membership will be expected to regularly lead Garden tours for members and member prospects in an effort to cultivate strong relationships for the Garden.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop Membership Department goals and regularly monitor progress toward goals. Make adjustments as needed.
- Conceive the annual slate of member programs, in collaboration with Director of Special Events, to ensure a vibrant member engagement program that is consistently focused on revenue growth
- Make personal connections in the local community to develop individual support for the Garden
- Oversee production of all membership marketing materials, communications and correspondence to run an effective member program with engaged membership.
- Direct member and nonmember communications via email and mail
- Create streamlined procedures for benefit fulfillment
- Act as liaison for VIP donors
- Develop infrastructure for membership database in collaboration with Manager of Development Services
- Develop training tools and coach Visitor Experience Associates to maximize membership sales on-site and via phone.
- Secure and coordinate volunteers to serve on Garden Circle Committee
- Procure membership incentives and benefits to encourage upgrades and retention
- Put procedures in place designed to retain members (calls to lapsed members, outreach to members who have not visited, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, a liberal arts discipline, or subject reasonably related to cultural attraction administration.
- At least 4 years of experience in meeting revenue goals.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and mail merge functions of Word.
- Experience managing design and print production
- Membership program experience.
- Creative and forward thinking
- Excels in a deadline-driven environment
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and implementation abilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Command skills to drive programs with and through people in various roles
- High level of organization
Position is full-time, exempt. Must be available weekdays, some weekday evenings, some holidays, and some weekends. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.