Job Announcement – Visitor Services Representative (Temporary)
Visitor Services Representative (Temporary)
Reports to the Visitor Services Manager
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Visitor Services Representative plays a critical public-facing role at the South Coast Botanic Garden (SCBG). This position interacts with a broad range of people daily, including visitors, special event guests, SCBG donors, venue rental clients, and more. In addition to making all guests feel welcome and valued; this position is accountable for processing admissions, event tickets, class registration, memberships, and donations. A strong attention to detail and exceptional interpersonal communication skills is required. The Visitor Services Representative is expected to maintain a high level of courtesy and professionalism. Ideal candidates will have prior experience in customer service.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Create a welcoming and warm experience for all SCBG visitors
- Open and close the Visitor Services Center, properly close and secure office at end of day
- Provide effective customer service in-person and over the phone
- Answers inbound telephone calls, determine the purpose of the calls, provides routine information and answers routine questions
- Generate interest in SCBG’s offerings by effectively explaining them to visitors
- Suggest events, programs, and membership offerings to visitors, based on their interests
- Demonstrate a well-rounded understanding of SCBG’s mission
- Partner with facilities staff and events staff to deliver an exceptional visitor experience
- Handle transactions for admissions, event tickets, memberships, tram tickets, and donations
- Staff gift shop when assigned and sell merchandise
- Lead guided tours when assigned
- Assist with class sign ups and registration
- Assist customers with ticket exchanges and/or returns
- Resolve customer services issues and/or elevate them to Management when appropriate
- For membership program, ensure visitor data is entered into database in a consistent and timely fashion
- Reconcile cash/checks and charges with ticket sales daily
- Handle confidential media/information with discretion
- Other duties as assigned
- Cash register and POS system, credit card processing machine, phone, calculator, copier, computer, fax machine, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio.
- Ability to work outdoors, in all weather conditions, as needed.
- This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds.
- AA degree or equivalent
- One year of tour guide experience is preferred OR experience in museums, hospitality, travel, tourism or public speaking
- Two years of cash handling/cash register experience required
- Two years customer service experience
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work with diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays and weekends
- Ability to read and comprehend directives and basic correspondence
- Must be a positive team player
- Must be able to handle simple calculations and money transactions
- Must be self-motivated, have a good sense of humor, honesty and a strong work ethic
- Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office equipment
- Basic knowledge of Word, Excel necessary
- Bilingual preferred but not required
- Neat and professional appearance
This is a temporary, part time (20 – 25 hours) non-exempt position and may be scheduled on weekends, evenings, and holidays, depending on the needs of the Foundation.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.